Monday, September 16, 2024

I am horrible

I keep forgetting that I have this blog, that is why I am horrible.  Trying to keep up with it all has been a challenge.  Life is great! 

July 2022 I completed my PSW program at Trillium College, with honors! When I first got the idea in my head to go back to school at 43 yrs old, I was thinking am I crazy? I am too old for this.  However I am glad I didn't listen to that voice in my head.  It wasn't easy trying to balance out family life, school and and still trying to work through it all.  The thing I appreciate the most was my family, Mom and Will they stepped up to help out with Joy.  It wasn't easy.  I missed my family in that time.  My schedule was class 8 am to 1 pm class, then 2-3 pm to 9:30 pm work.  Then when I a started placement 6/7 am to 3 pm. Sunday to Friday (the last few weeks as I had to get my hours in as I was out for 3 weeks due to COVID hitting my whole household, including myself).  It was a challenge, however in the end it was totally worth it.


I got my first job at a Long Term Care facility, however I didn't like it.  The distance was difficult, and the staff I worked with where not so friendly.  I still had my retail job still.  So I didn't pick up any shifts at the LTC and worked at the retail job.  At the same time I kept applying at at other places.  November 2022 I got hired on at a LTC/Hospital and I am loving it.  


Being a PSW is rewarding, yes there are challenges.  Seeing the residents/patients smile, or that one who just gives you a hug out of the blue and even say how much they appreciate you and the gratefulness from from the families.  Some of challenges a PSW faces, dealing with ones who can be violent, or resistant because they have dementia and they don't understand you are trying to help them but they think you are trying to harm them.  When the resident or patient you cared for passes away it is hard.  If you are going to be a PSW for the money, stay out of it.  It takes heart, and compassion and a desire to serve others.  


Sincerely,


 
Anna








No comments:

Post a Comment